Van Jones, former White House Council on Environmental Quality’s Special Advisor for Green Jobs. Photograph from College Foundation when Jones worked with the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights.
IF YOU ARE A PROGRESSIVE, THE RESIGNATION OF VAN JONES SHOULD SCARE YOU
by John Dolan
I don’t know Van Jones personally, and I have not read much of his writings. What I know about him I have learned over the past few days, during the media frenzy surrounding his resignation. I am sorry that Van Jones has resigned, as he was probably doing good work in Washington, D.C. However what his resignation means for progressive American’s is more alarming to me than the loss of Mr. Jones from President Obama’s circle. I guess it is finally time for Progressive America to wake up and see that President Obama is not their friend. Like the proverbial wolf in sheep’s clothing, he has gained their confidence and he will eat them from the inside out. If he does not eat them, he will allow his fellow wolves to devour them and stand idly by.
Imagine the effect President Obama could have had if he showed some backbone and stood up for Van Jones? Imagine if he said simply “Van Jones is a valuable member of my staff, and just because he has different views on some issues than I do, does not mean he should resign, and he is not going to resign. In fact, it is these different viewpoints that make us stronger as a country.” He spoke in simple platitudes during the campaign; he could have done so now.
What the resignation clearly and explicitly illustrates is that President Obama will not allow anyone to float any challenging ideas in Washington. In fact, if you look at the below questions—the petition Mr. Jones signed is not in the least bit threatening. Why is it that 9-11 is some kind of sacred cow—something that can never be questioned?
Why can’t we ask our government about 9-11? Why can’t we call Republican’s assholes? They have bankrupted our country and led thousands to their deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. President Obama shows what he really is with the resignation of Van Jones, and that is not a friend of progressives, not a friend of anyone who seeks to change the culture of Washington.
I have pulled up the petition Van Jones allegedly signed. Below are the questions he supported being asked of the United States Government. These questions are simple, factual based questions.
- Why were standard operating procedures for dealing with hijacked airliners not followed that day?
- Why were the extensive missile batteries and air defenses reportedly deployed around the Pentagon not activated during the attack?
- Why did the Secret Service allow Bush to complete his elementary school visit, apparently unconcerned about his safety or that of the schoolchildren?
- Why hasn’t a single person been fired, penalized, or reprimanded for the gross incompetence we witnessed that day?
- Why haven’t authorities in the U.S. and abroad published the results of multiple investigations into trading that strongly suggested foreknowledge of specific details of the 9/11 attacks, resulting in tens of millions of dollars of traceable gains?
- Why has Sibel Edmonds, a former FBI translator who claims to have knowledge of advance warnings, been publicly silenced with a gag order requested by Attorney General Ashcroft and granted by a Bush-appointed judge?
- How could Flight 77, which reportedly hit the Pentagon, have flown back towards Washington D.C. for 40 minutes without being detected by the FAA’s radar or the even superior radar possessed by the US military?
- How were the FBI and CIA able to release the names and photos of the alleged hijackers within hours, as well as to visit houses, restaurants, and flight schools they were known to frequent?
- What happened to the over 20 documented warnings given our government by 14 foreign intelligence agencies or heads of state?
- Why did the Bush administration cover up the fact that the head of the Pakistani intelligence agency was in Washington the week of 9/11 and reportedly had $100,000 wired to Mohamed Atta, considered the ringleader of the hijackers?
- Why did the 911 Commission fail to address most of the questions posed by the families of the victims, in addition to almost all of the questions posed here?
- Why was Philip Zelikow chosen to be the Executive Director of the ostensibly independent 911 Commission although he had co-authored a book with Condoleezza Rice?