FRIDAY POETRY SERIES PRESENTS: JUAN RAMON JIMENEZ

The Infinite Current

by Juan Ramon Jimenez

Translation by Andrew Wessels

Should I, the cripple in me, from my hour,
cross the threshold
between my soul and his endless likeness;
the cripple in me, pure,
as if, in him, the long obscured time of men
would not have been more clear than eternity.

La corriente infinita

En mí la cojo yo, desde mi hora,
entre las dos orillas
de mi alma y su imajen infinita;
en mí la cojo, pura,
como si, en ella, el largo tiempo oscuro de los hombres
no hubiera sido más que clara eternidad.

Juan Ramon Jimenez begs a gentle kenosis the gods can’t ignore. His poetry celebrates music, color, and the universality of experience. Often marveling at the permeability of the self and our illusions of separation, Jimenez embodied the role of the mystic, the poet, and the philosopher. The man contained multitudes, as was further evidenced by the posthumous publication of his explicitly erotic love poetry.

Andrew Wessels splits his time between Istanbul and Las Vegas, where he is pursuing an MFA in poetry at UNLV. Editor-in-Chief of the online poetry journal, The Offending Adam, he also writes the literary blog A Compulsive Reader .

Want to read more by and about Juan Ramon Jimenez?
Juan Ramon Jimenez on The Self
NobelPrize.org
Wikipedia.org

This entry was posted in Friday Poetry Series, Juan Ramon Jimenez. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to FRIDAY POETRY SERIES PRESENTS: JUAN RAMON JIMENEZ

1. Linda says:

Begs me to question… What could be more clear than Eternity?

2. sivanpoetry says:

Our similar taste in poetry runs deep. Though I do prefer your bio to the one I did. A great choice for a lovely Friday.

• Lezlie says:

It does indeed. My friend sent me this translation and said, oh, but i see someone just posted jimenez two weeks ago..and I said, no, that’s actually why it’s perfect.

3. Erika says:

Hi,
    I just want to say that I read the translation in English (being a Spanish native speaker), and to me the English translation reflects something else than the Spanish version, or let’s say, I interpret it very differently. The poem looses its deep meaning in the English version.

4. Carmen D. Lucca says:

The translator has written: “Should I, the cripple in me, from my hour” but what Jimenez wrote was: “En mi la cojo yo, desde mi hora” (In me I seize it, from my hour) The translator understood “cojo” as a noun meaning “a cripple but in the poema “la cojo” means I seize it. The second verse is incorrectly translated as Jimenez did not say “cruzo el umbral”. He said: “entre las dos orillas” which in English translates to: “between the two shores” (the poem’s title: La Corriente implies a flow, thus the word “orillas” but the translator wrote: “Cross the threshold” (threshold implies door or gate-that is not what the great Juan Ramon meant) In conclusion the translator has given an interpretation of the poem, not its spirit. By the way, I am a poet, fluent in both English and Spanish.

5. A. F. Moritz says:

THE INFINITE CURRENT

Into myself I take it, from my hour
    between the two shores
    of my soul and its infinite image;
    into myself I take it, pure,
    as if within it the long dark age of man
    had been nothing but a clear eternity,

–A. F. Moritz